Monday, January 9, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 9

1 I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. 2 I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.

11 Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion; Declare among the peoples His deeds.

The heading in my Bible for this Psalm is "Celebration of God's Justice." We all want justice. We've set up an elaborate judicial system in the United States to try to ensure "liberty and justice for all." I know there are times when our system fails, but over all I believe we have the best judicial system in the world.

It wasn't like that for David and it's not like that for many around the world, so how do we reconcile this Psalm of David praising God for His justice? We see David praising the LORD for being a refuge for the oppressed, but Christians around the world live under great oppression.

vs.9 "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble."

The only way I can wrap my mind around this seeming contradiction is by reading Hebrews 11. In this great "roll call of faith" we see that many were delivered but that some were mocked and scourged, stoned, sawn in two or died by the sword. But in either case (delivered or martyred) their faith was in God.

Maybe the key to this Psalm is that David could sing God's praise through the trials and again when he was delivered from those trials. He could sing God's praise knowing that ultimately God is the great judge of the nations and will judge with righteousness. Even in his affliction he knew God had not abandoned him.

I think I need to chew on this chapter longer. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Irene said...

When I originally read this Psalm several years ago, I put "God Is in Charge" as the title of it. As I read it again today, I say, "Amen!"