Wednesday, January 25, 2012

150 Days of Psalms - Psalm 26

Over the years I've had people say something like this to me. "I just don't know why God let this happen to me." I, of course, always tried to be kind in my responses, but often I wanted to say, "Well... if you hadn't been out doing this or that then you wouldn't have gotten YOURSELF in this mess."

Don't hear me saying that any time you have troubles in your life it's because of sin - something you have done. The point I'm headed toward is that it's a lot easier to say, "Vindicate me, Lord, because I have lived with integrity and have trusted in the Lord without wavering." Than, "I know I really messed up, Lord, I promise I'll be good if you help me out of this one!"

This Psalm of David is an example of how we should strive to live life.


We see that David did what was right "lived with integrity, trusted in the Lord, live by God's truth"
and DIDN'T do what was wrong "sit with the worthless, associate with hypocrites)" (reminds you a little of Psalm 1 don't you think?)
and he spent time worshipping and telling of God's greatness "I wash my hands in innocence and go around Your altar, Lord, raising my voice in thanksgiving and telling about Your wonderful works."

Looks like a good plan. Why don't you see how you can put it into practice in your life?



1 comment:

Phyllis Hobson said...

These comments pertain to Psalm 25:

It's good to know, first of all, that God is looking at us through His goodness (v. 7) and not remembering us through our transgressions. I was caught by the phrase in verse 15 "He will pluck my feet out of the net." It's somewhat reminiscent of the song about putting our feet on a rock (which is more in line with Psalm 40:2). Jerry and I volunteer at a wildlife rehab, and one day when we got there they had a call that an owl had been caught in a school soccer net overnight and was tangled up. We went there and had to try and get him/her out (finally having to cut part of the net with the permission of the school) and the owl, though obviously scared/stressed by us, allowed us to work the best we could to get him/her out of the net.

I have probably tangled myself in a lot of nets these past 50+ years. But God hears me when I call, and as verses 16-18 state, God will show His mercy and forgiveness.