Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Library Greatness

When I moved form West Tennessee to Middle Tennessee 10 years ago we moved from a pretty good sized house to a much smaller house. Don't misunderstand - I LOVED Bear Hollow as any of my long-time readers could tell you. It's just that we didn't have room for all of our "stuff."


In West Tennessee we had a little sitting area upstairs that had large bookshelves that we had filled with books. For awhile in Martin our church was part of some sort of organization where we could get a lot of things for free or almost free and many of those items were books! I have photography books, gardening books, all kinds of devotional and Christian living type of books, beautiful children's book and more.


Now I have moved to a bigger house I am figuring out that I need to buy some bookshelves - a lot of book shelves. Maybe one or two for several of the rooms so we won't look like a branch of the Clarksville public library!


One of the books I found (it has been in a box for 9 years!) is titled "There's Always Time for Greatness" subtitled "Who did what when from ages 1-100" published by Hallmark books. The point of the book is to inspire each of us - no matter how old - to strive for greatness by seeing what others have accomplished.


Some samples:

At the age of 3 Tiger Woods shoots 48 for 9 holes on his hometown golf course in Cypress, California.

At the age of 13 Anne Frank begins her diary, and with her family is soon forced into hiding from the Nazis.

At the age of 23 Daniel Rutherford discovers nitrogen.


Let's skip a few decades.


At the age of 53 Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in World War II, plans and leads the pivotal D-Day invasion of Normandy.


Oh, side-tracked. I attended Mr. Berry's funeral today. He was one of the men who landed on the beach on that day! Wow!


Well, I'll stop. I'll be Twittering some of these things over the next few days or weeks. I have my Twitter, Facebook and Blogger accounts set up where when I "tweet" it updates my facebook status and puts a note over there on the sidebar of this blog. How cool is that?


So what's the point of this blog besides me rambling on? Here are a few thoughts that popped into my head.


Do something great this week. Don't wait until next week or until you are older. And don't stop trying because you've missed your younger days.


Do whatever you are doing with excellence.

Colossians 3:23 NAS Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,


Remember that God can use you to do great things for His Kingdom at any age.


Encourage others to strive for greatness in what they do.

No comments: