Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It Happened Again

I was at lunch today and saw one of my choir members who has been dealing with cancer (She's doing well by the way) and when I turned from talking to her and her husband there were a couple of young ladies who had been watching us. They looked a little embarrassed but then spoke up. "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Joel Osteen?"

Hahaha.

Last week when Cheryl and I were in Gatlinburg we walked into one of the art shops and the lady there was reading one of Joel Osteen's books. She looked up and gasped. "Oh! Has anyone ever told you that you look like Joel Osteen?" I laughed and told her "yes" and that I too was a pastor. I gave her one of my business cards and she is using it as a book mark for her book.

A month or so ago it was the hostess at Red Lobster asking the same question.

Here's something I wrote over a year ago.
I've been accused a few times - or flattered - of looking like Joel Osteen. There's a lady at the meat and three in Joelton who asks me to pray for her every time I go in there because she thinks I'm him.


Here's a note Bro. Tony got a few weeks ago from one of his friends who was here for our DiscipleNow weekend.




"Lyndel Littleton Joel Osteen

coincidence? i think not. i believe your music minister is joel osteen in disguise!

i hope you get as much of a kick out of this as i did.

kurt"

Actually, I'm very thankful that I look like Joel Osteen and not some serial killer. Even more importantly than resembling Bro. Osteen I hope that when people see me they see a resemblance - a reflection - of Jesus. I want to live my life where they see His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faith, gentleness and self-control (see Galatians 5:22-23 )

Now... who do you look like? Will someone flatter you by saying "Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like Jesus?" I hope they can.

The followers of Christ were first called Christians in Antioch Ac 11:26 - Show Context because they acted like Christ. My prayer is that you and I will live up to that name - Christian - this week.

No comments: