Friday, August 29, 2008

How to Remember Stuff

Not a particularly eloquent title, I know, but it fits with a song I heard last night.

My lovely wife, Cheryl, and I ate supper at Crackerbarrel last night. Yummmmm. We were eating and Cheryl said, "Oh! Listen to that." And there on the background music was a nice Country Western version of How Great Thou Art. "Well, that's nice", I replied.

It was then rather humorous that the very next song was a good ol' Kenny Rodgers song - You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, Lucille. What was even funnier was that Cheryl and I remembered all of the words to the chorus! "four hungry children and a crop in the field..."


This proves something I have always said. Music is a great way to remember things. That's one of the reasons it is so good to find songs that are scripture set to music. It's also why you have to be careful what you listen to in your car. Your children are learning all kinds of things that you probably don't really want them to. But you don't realize they are learning to lie and cheat and who knows what else because it is set to music. (Preach your own sermon to yourself here about what you listen to.)


On the way home from shopping we passed a church sign that had Hosea 6:3 on it -
"So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth." - and I started singing a song I learned as a youth type person that I learned in the 70s. Wow! That was a looooong time ago, but I still remembered it.

Can you quote these verses?





I could find hundreds of songs.

Go to your local LifeWay store and find some good CDs that have scripture set to music. Play it for your children. Music is better background noise than TV. (TV rots your brain.) Play it in the car. Play it at bedtime or mealtime. There is great power in God's Word and music is a great way to learn it.



So how did you do with the little quiz above? Could you quote those verses? Maybe you could, but my guess is that you can SING them.

A. Rejoice in the Lord, always, and again I say, rejoice

B. Great Is Thy Faithfulness...morning by morning new mercies I see

C. Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God

D. I Will Call upon the Lord

No comments: