Thursday, February 24, 2011

Music for February 27

Sunday begins our "Every Believer a Witness" revival, so we'll begin our service singing "Mighty to Save" followed by "Tell Me the Story of Jesus." When we sing it we'll perk it up a bit with a little bit of a Latin feel and I've added a little chorus to it.
We'll also sing "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High." This little chorus has the complete gospel in a nutshell. "You came from heaven to earth to show the way. From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay. From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the skies. Lord, I lift Your name on high."

The text to Tell Me the Story of Jesus was written by Fanny Crosby.
Fanny Crosby wrote the texts to some of our best-loved hymns. Here's a partial list of songs you probably know and like to sing that were written by her.

"All the Way My Savior Leads Me"--bef. 1875, music by Robert Wadsworth Lowry

"Blessed Assurance"--1873, music by Phoebe Knapp

"Close to Thee"--1874, music by Silas J. Vail

"Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home"--1883, music by George C. Stebbins

"He Hideth My Soul" --1890, music by William Kirkpatrick

"I Am Thine, O Lord"--bef. 1875, music by W. Howard Doane

"My Savior First of All"--1891, music by John R. Sweney

"Near the Cross"--bef. 1869, music by W. Howard Doane

"Pass Me Not, O Gentle Saviour"--1868, music by W. Howard Doane

"Praise Him, Praise Him"--bef. 1869, music by Chester G. Allen

"Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It"--bef. 1882, William J. Kirkpatrick

"Rescue the Perishing"--1869, music by W. Howard Doane

"Safe in the Arms of Jesus"--1878, music by W. Howard Doane

"Saviour, More Than Life to Me"--1875, music by W. Howard Doane

"Tell Me the Story of Jesus"--bef. 1880, music by John R. Sweney

"To God Be the Glory"--1875, music by W. Howard Doane

Notice the poll over there on your right. Vote on your favorite Fanny Crosby hymns. You can vote for more than one.

Tell Me the Story of Jesus

Tell me the story of Jesus; Write on my heart every word.
Tell me the story most precious, Sweetest that ever was heard.

Tell how the angels in chorus sang as they welcomed his birth,
"Glory to God in the highest! Peace and good tidings to earth."

New chorus
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Living and dying He set me free.
Hallelujah! Sing His love for me.

No comments: