Thursday, April 15, 2010

What's that new song?

April 18, 2010


A few years ago at another church we sang a medley of songs. In the medley was a new song I had written titled "In the Morning." It's a song about seeking the Lord and hearing from Him in the morning. Hmm, let me think... I believe I was using Psalm 143:8 Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning ; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk ; For to You I lift up my soul. as my inspiration.
After the service a lady - I'm guessing late 20s, maybe early 30s - came up to me and asked me about "that song." "I've never heard it before. It was beautiful!"
"Oh," I replied, "that's a new one I wrote a few weeks ago." and I said something about the words or tune - I don't really remember. Then she held up her bulletin (We put the order of worship in our bulletin there.) and she said, "No, not that one, this one." And she pointed to one of the other songs in the medley, "In the Garden."

Hahaha! So much for that beautiful "NEW" song. The song that was so beautiful to her was that wonderful old hymn. It was "new" because she had never heard it. She hadn't heard it because we didn't sing it much and she was new to the church. It's not very "contemporary" after all.

Her response kind of proved a point. Many people say they don't like any song that wasn't written last week. Everything else is "old stuff." There are so many songs that we have loved for many years because they have beautiful melodies and well-written texts. All that most of them need is a little change of the accompaniment so they don't sound like something that needs to be played on an old upright piano.

If you are one of those who only likes loud guitars and music written last weekend, let me encourage you to find an old hymnal. Read the words. Listen to the melody. Let these "old" hymns touch your heart in a new way.
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
Forever
Choir - Majestic

Fellowship Song – Mighty to Save
In the Garden
Draw Me Close

Special Music – Laughrie, Traci, Jimmy and Pat - Jesus, What a Friend 
Message – Dr. Larry D. Robertson

Invitation song – I Give You Me

Offertory – Bro. Lyndel Littleton

Baptisms - Both Services

No comments: