Monday, March 15, 2010

A Compliment?

I've always thought it was a compliment when someone - after seeing something you have done or played or whatever - makes a comment like "You make that look so easy." or "I think I could do that too." or "Is that all you had to do?" not knowing the practice and effort and work and training that went behind what you just did.

So that's how I am going to interpret the following events with my two oldest grandchildren.

A week ago Sunday I was leaving the house about 6:45 (which is when I leave every Sunday except Deacon's Meeting Sundays) and Gibson (7) was already up.

"I want to go with you, Papa."

"No, not this morning. I have a lot to do to get ready for church this morning."

"But I really want to go with you," his typical response.

"Not this morning. I'll see you in a little bit." and I was out the door.

Laster that morning as my lovely wife, Cheryl, aka. Grani, was driving to church with Gibson and Haven (6).

"Grani, I really wanted to go with Papa this morning when he came to church. I was already up and ready to go."

Grani replied (she always has my back), "You can't go with Papa on a Sunday morning. He is getting ready for the services and has to concentrate."

To which Haven replied, "What does he have to concentrate for? He doesn't tell the story."

No comments: