Friday, October 30, 2009

More Pairings

This Sunday, Nov. 1, I've paired up a couple more old songs with new songs. In fact, the old songs are really old songs.

The words to "All Creatures of Our God and King" were written in 1225 by Fancis of Assisi. the tune was written in the 1600s. It has a wonderful text and I really like the tune.

"All creatures of our God and King. Lift up your voice and with us sing Hallelujah!"

One of the things I like about singing these really old hymns is that in a way it connects us with centuries of Christians. Our voices join theirs through the ages. I picked these old hymns for this Sunday - well, partly becasue I really like them, and partly because Sunday is All Saints Day. Traditionally this is a day to remember all the Saints who have gone before us. What better way than to sing songs that have been used to praise our Lord Jesus Christ for centuries and have been sung by countless saints?
We join them in worshiping Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.


David Crowder Band


I've paired this ancient hymn (All Creatures) with a fairly new song "God of Wonders."
"God of wonders beyond our galaxy - You are holy.
The universe declares Your majesty - You are holy."

The other old song with new combination is "Fairest Lord Jesus" and a new setting of "For the Beauty of the Earth." I don't remember right now who wrote it. I'll look it up and add it later.

"Fairst Lord Jesus" words were written in 1677. Music - 1842.

That's all the internet I can get out of this today. I'll add to this Monday. I'll be looking for all the Hilldale people Sunday morning as we sing these great old and new songs together.

No comments: