Thursday, November 8, 2007

50/50


50% cotton. 50% polyester. But what really is polyester?

According to Wikipedia the synthesis of polyesters is generally achieved by a polycondensation reaction.


Azeotrope esterification
In this classical method, an alcohol and a carboxylic acid react to form a carboxylic ester. To assemble a polymer, the water formed by the reaction must be continually removed by azeotrope distillation.


For those interested, below is the chemical equation (ester-terminated oligomer + alcohol-terminated oligomer)
O
\\
C - OCH3 + OH[Oligomer2]
/
[Oligomer1]



Wow! And there are people out there in the world who actually understand that!


All I know is that a 50/50 blend t-shirt won't shrink and doesn't need to be ironed.


As we were determining if my t-shirt that I wore to rehearsal last Saturday was 100% cotton or a 50/50 blend, someone asked - I think it might have been Brenda - if Cheryl had ironed my t-shirt. Ha! I don't think Cheryl will mind telling you that she trained me 32 years ago to do my own ironing. Sorry guys.


All of this to remind you that I need your t-shirt size.
If you would like more than one shirt (so you don't have to wash and iron between performances - or so you and the whole family can go to the mall in matching shirts - your teenagers will love that idea, by the way) then let me or Donna know how many shirts you want.


If you're interested, there's an interesting article about t-shirts and some exciting controversy over when they were actually invented http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-shirt


Even more fun is this video of the new world record of the most t-shirts worn at one time

The North American record for most T-shirts worn at once was set October 17, 2007 by Nick Umbs of Burke, Virginia. See the record attempt caught on video by clicking here!


By the way - I would suggest only wearing one t-shirt per performance. I understand it can be a little warm in "the tree".


See you Sunday!

No comments: