Thursday, October 28, 2010

I Voted Today

Today is the last day for early voting in Tennessee.

So I made myself get around earlier than I wanted to so I could get to the election commission early and vote. I was there about 7:30. Well, it ends up that they don't open until 8:00. That explained the mostly empty parking lot.

So I sat in my car and listened to my Portuguese CDs. I'm still working on being fluent in Portuguese. Eu gosto de falar em Portugês.

Then about 5 minutes before 8:00 a looked over at the building and the entrance was surrounded by early voters. I was afraid I would have to wait a long time to vote. So I joined the crowd and ended up about tenth in line. They had 8 people checking your voter card or whatever ID you had so that just took a tiny bit of time. Then I went down the hall and there they had around 20 voting machines.

Since I live in the county and not the city I only had four things to vote on: Governor, State Representative, US Representative and something about whether you should be able to hunt and fish in Tennessee. I don't know what they think everyone is doing on the weekends but I guess we needed it in writing.

Total time in the voting place - less than 5 minutes. Total impact - at least 2 years of legislation and/or aggravation and unknown long-term effects from what these guys do.

How you vote is important. If you're not sure which fiscally conservative or socially conservative candidate to vote for send me a note. I'm happy to give you my suggestions. haha



If you miss today's early voting then you'll want to vote on November 2.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I voted early so I could tell my husband who and how to vote! ha not really but I did give him some ideas this morning as we were eating breakfast. We, too, had the fishing and hunting amendment on our ballot. I don't hunt or fish but I plan to sometime. I would like to be able to if I wanted to. Then we had about 50 more people on our ballot plus two more amendments. When I asked around about the amendments and what they meant (I think they write them so you won't know what you are voting for) no one seemed to know including my boss, who is mayor of Melbourne. Isn't that interesting?? I did vote for one Green Party canidate, which I thought I would never do but it was the choice between that person and another person that I said I would not vote for so I felt I had to make a choice. It is interesting this year and I hope people will go out and vote. I remember standing in line for an hour and two at times to vote in Clarksville. There have not been many times that I have failed to vote since I was old enough to vote. It is important to me.