Monday, October 18, 2010

1 Peter 1:14-16 Memory Monday

I'm working on memorizing 1 Peter 1:14-16. They go along with "The Mind of Christ" Bible study that I am working through. The study suggested memorizing verse 15, but I'm trying to be an overachiever - haha - and learn the verses on each side of it.

1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to your former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior, 16 because it is written, YOU SHALL BE HOLY FOR I AM HOLY.


Holy means "set apart." It means not doing things the world's way, but God's way. It means keeping all the junk out of your life. It means if someone follows you around they see you living as a reflection of God and not your own usual selfish self.

I supppose that last paragraph isn't the one you'll find in a fancy Bible dictionary, but I was trying to sum it all up for you.

Memorizing these versese is the easy part. The difficult part is living that way. With the work of the Holy Spirit in your life it is possible, however, to live a holy life. I afraid our problem too often is that we don't want to. We've allowed ourselves to be conformed to our former lusts which we ours in our ignorance.

OK. Self-reflection time. What things in your life do you need to give over to God so that you can live a holy life? So often we say, "Well, that's just the way I am. Can't help myself." or "I don't feel like I"m holy or feel like I want to be holy." I guess we could rewrite these verses. "Be holy when you feel like it 'cause God knows it's difficult."
Ha! Holiness like so many other things is a choice we make. We choose to be obedient children or we choose not to be. Feelings should be a biproduct of what we do, not the driving force behind what we do.

I suppose if I was planning a sermon to preach I would go through this and put things in order and have nice connecting sentences to tie it all together. But I'm not. I'm just typing and hoping that you are following what I'm trying to say.

That's it. You have to decide now to be holy or to be conformed to your former lusts...

I hope you choose holiness.

No comments: