Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Memory Monday on Tuesday (again)

I took yesterday off from working in the office. I attended Teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) training from the North American Mission Board all weekend and needed to cut the grass at my "vacation" home in Whites Creek (which I'll put back on the market in August) and then went to Mt. Juliet to my son's new house to help paint so they can move in this weekend.

All of that to say that I didn't get to a computer to put a verse for Memory Monday on here.

I was thinking this morning about John 1. It is such a wonderful chapter. 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.


These beautiful pages are from the St. John's Bible

 an illuminated, handwritten Bible commissioned by Saint John's University and Abbey in Minnesota. This contemporary Bible is at once old and new: a masterpiece of the ancient crafts of calligraphy and illumination that could only be made by artists of today. Read more here

I was thinking about some men I have been praying for - that they would become followers of Jesus Christ. They are walking in darkness and need light and life from Jesus. I am praying today that the Light will shine in their hearts but that unlike the people of Jesus day, my prayer is that they will see and comprehend the Light. Will you join me in praying for these three men?
 
So what is this week's Memory Monday memory verse?
 
I am going to review the first five verses of John 1 (since I have memorized them before). I would encourage you to start with verse 1 if you haven't memorized these verses and then add as many as you can. There's a great sermon to be preached from verse 3 too. It corresponds with another of my favorite passages, Colossians 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities -all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

Guess I should have saved that for next week's memory verse. We'll just call that a sneak preview!
So - again, for those of you memorizing scripture with me, here are this weeks verses. See how much you can memorize this week.
 
John1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

No comments: