Monday, June 28, 2010

What is ESL?

Those of you who go to Hilldale Baptist Church know that our pastor has been in a sermon series about the church - "Is THIS What Christ Died For?"

I missed the final sermon (I guess I should go on line and listen to it... Sermon Series on line

Part of what we, as your Pastoral Staff, have talked about is the church "Gathering, Growing and Going."

Gathering is how we will describe our Sunday mornings. It's us, as a church, getting together for worship and Bible study.

Growing is how we will describe Wednesday nights with choir rehearsals, Bible studies, prayer meetings and more.

Going is how we will describe the many ways we are going to connect with our community and be "the church" out doing something for the Kingdom!

What does that have to do with ESL? And what IS ESL?

ESL is teaching English as a Second Language. It is a great way to reach out to our community. We have many people from many countries in Clarksville. Many of them want to know English. We can not only share with them the basics of conversation in English, but we can share the Gospel with them at the same time.

The Tennessee Baptist Convention is offering a three day workshop  on ESL.



Teaching English Language Learners
the Good News
A 14-Hour ESL WORKSHOP
Topics included:
* What is ESL ministry ?
* How to use ESL to minister to internationals.
* How to teach English
* How to share Jesus with internationals.
* Resources to use in ESL ministry.
* How to relate to people from other cultures.
* Much, much more!

The dates for the ESL training are July 16-18.

Firday night, 6:00 - 9:00
Saturday - all day - 8:30-4:30
Sunday - 1:30-4:30

Let me or Donna know if you want to attend the training with me.

To see the ESL info for yourself, click here to go to the Tennessee Baptist web site.

2 comments:

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

I might want to go with you. Not sure if I should since I (I mean you) spent a lot of money for me to get a degree in TESL! :) But it would be interesting for me to see what the training is like. How much does it cost?

R Lyndel Littleton said...

Christy, I think your mom and I are still paying for your degree. lol. If you want to go let me know. I think it should be a nice workshop.