Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras and Lent explained for Baptists

One of my Dad's favorite sayings was "I gave that up for Lent." I had no idea what Lent was as I was growing up. In fact, I thought he was saying "lint" meaning he gave it up nothing - just a little lint from the clothes drier. Even thinking that, I just knew any time Dad didn't want to do something he would say, "I gave that up for Lent."

As Baptists, we don't "do" Lent. (Although I know of some Baptist friends of mine who do.) Lent seems to be too "Catholic" for us Baptists. (The Lutherans and Methodists and others also observe Lent.) But we do know about the day before Lent even if we don't celebrate it - Mardi Gras. 

Dad was sort of right about Lent. Lent is the 40 days before Easter. During Lent you are asked to give something up - usually meat and wine or something you really like. (My friends always gave up dessert for Lent.) So then, when you are missing that something that you gave up you are to turn that longing into a prayer or longing for God. Lent is supposed to be a time of reflection on Christ and on His sacrifice of Himself for us. It is a time for extra devotion and turning our thoughts to Him.

Unfortunately, as in many things in life, what began as a good thing turned into a legalistic event that lost it's meaning. Knowing that they would be giving up meat and wine for 40 days, people turned the day before - and now I think the week before - into a wild time of all the sensual pleasures of life. The drunken revelry seen in New Orleans is how the god of this age turned what was once a spiritual event into a godless mess. In Latin America it is called Carnival. The parades of Rio are as bad as the parades in New Orleans.

So what's a Baptist to do. I suppose you don't really have to do anything about Mardi Gras and Lent. But here are a few ideas. :-)

1. Don't go out drinking and partying tonight so you have something to give up or confess tomorrow!
2. Use the 40 days before Easter to devote yourself to Bible study and prayer - reflecting on God's incredible love and Jesus' sacrifice.
3. Pray for the lost in the world who go through motions but have no heart knowledge of Jesus.
4. Use Mardi Gras and Lent as a time to share your faith and your PERSONAL relationship with Jesus.
5. Really give up something you like if that will help you focus on scripture and prayer and living a holy life. (If you do this, you CAN NOT complain about it. It totally loses any meaning it may have had if you do.) The following is a possibility. I haven't decided if I am going to give up chocolate for Lent. Since many of my breakfast foods include chocolate I'm thinking not.

No comments: