Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tennis Numbers

I don't know a lot about sports. I hardly ever watch sporting events. It's not so much not liking them as being totally lost and not understanding what is going on.

Tennis is a great example of that. I heard this morning that some guy had won the US Open again for the - well, he's won a whole lot. Hold on, I'll look it up.

OK. It's Roger Federer and he's won 56 singles titles in his career and before this win he had earned over $41,000,000 (that's 41 million!) playing tennis.


Here's the part that I found amazing. They said he was middle aged for a tennis player. He's 27! MIDDLE AGED?!? oh my! That's a number I'll never understand.

Here's another funny thing about tennis - the way they keep score. If you don't have any points it's called "love". That I can understand. It's kind of like saying, "Bless your heart. You don't have any points." Then you get a point but instead of just one you get 15. That's pretty cool. Another point and you're at 30. I figure it was made up by a fourth grade teacher who wanted to teach her class to count by 15s.

I'm understanding it so far, but then the next one is 40. That just makes me want to say, "Bless your hearts. You don't know how to count by 15. You need to go back to fourth grade."


And don't even ask me about 6-0, 6-3, 6-4. No clue here.

But here's a nice thing about tennis. You don't have to understand the scoring and you don't have to be young to enjoy playing.

What does that have to do with worship? Well, I just thought it was all kind of amusing to think about, but then I realized that a lot of people don't understand all of the number things about music. 4/4 time, tempo 120, repeat back to m.23... those kinds of things. And then there are all of those symbols! But here's the cool thing about music. You don't have to understand all of the numbers and notes and symbols to enjoy singing and to be a part of one of our choirs.


Our adult choir meets on Wednesdays at 6:30 at the Family Life Center.

Children's choirs meet on Sunday nights at 4:30 and the youth choir meets on Sunday nights at 5:00.

I hope you'll overcome your fear of "reading" and understanding music and enjoy music with us.

No comments: